Here’s the bottom line:
I need your reviews.
Book reviews help readers, retailers like reviews, and promotional sites like Bookbub require a decent number of reviews before they’ll even consider your book.
Problem is, it’s tough to get reviews. It’s all voluntary on the part of the reader. They have to go out of their way to do something they’re not required to do. We all have too much to do these days, so I understand why folks are hesitant to sign up for even more work.
So I decided to launch a program that I think will be a win-win for everyone. In short, I’ll offer you any of my books for free in exchange for an honest review. Here’s how it’ll work:
- Check out my entire catalog of titles by clicking here.
- Once you find a book you like, send me a message by clicking here. Tell me which book you’d like to review and make sure you put a valid email address in the contact form (that way I can actually send you the special link needed to download the book to your device).
- Read the book. When you’re finished, go to Amazon or wherever you typically buy ebooks and leave an honest review; good, bad, or indifferent. Note that you must add the following text at the end of your review: Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.
- Contact me again using the contact form and send me the link to where you posted your review. If you want to review another title, return to step 1.
That’s it. Using this program, you could read every book I’ve written for no charge, provided you leave a review for each book. Not a bad deal if you like my work.
Here’s the fine print:
- I can only send you the title you want to review for free. For example, I can’t send you Book A in exchange for a review of Book B. That’s considered a gift and violates bookseller terms of service. I am allowed to send you Book A for free in exchange for a review on only Book A.
- I don’t read the reviews, so please be honest. Reviews are primarily for other readers, so write something that’ll be helpful to them. My policy is to stay out of it and mind my own business.
- Please actually review the book before asking for another. I’m happy to keep sending them, so long as you keep reviewing them. Good, bad, or anywhere in between; if you review it and want another, I’ll send it.
- I can only provide ebooks for review. No paperbacks. I use a service called BookFunnel that makes it easy to get books onto your primary reading device, whatever it might be.
Why am I doing this? Why would I give my books away for free? Well, I’m not really giving them away, as much as I’m exchanging them for an honest review. That’s a fair trade for me. And the amount I give away won’t be noticeable for sales. Even if it was, right now I’m willing to forego some sales for exposure. I’m in this for the long haul, not a flash in the pan, and building readership one reader at a time is the only viable way to do it. Reviews are a good way to build reader trust and happy readers tell their friends about books they like.
If you have any questions about the program, contact me here. Thanks in advance for your consideration!